The mainstay of our Quality Education Program is called the project for Transforming Academic Landscape through Inclusive Means (Project TALIM). The aim of TALIM is to enable children to become independent learners and meet the learning outcomes expected from their age. We work with the government education system and collaborate with other educational organizations to provide maximum impact in selected schools.
Currently, CHINAR is working in 5 government schools across 5 districts of Jammu & Kashmir at the elementary level as a part of an MoU signed with the Directorate of School Education Kashmir in 2014. We directly impact the lives of over 1000 children through our educational strategies. Our strategy is called the ‘6C Approach’ to TALIM.
- Community: Our interventions are focused on activating community institutions in education and creating a cadre of community volunteers committed to improving learning in the community. We work closely with School Management Committees and Village Education Committees to build their capacities and take active interest towards learning outcomes of their children. Our volunteers assist in community mobilization and providing remedial education classes to children.
- Checking: In order to ensure effective classroom transactions take place and to help teachers overcome implementation issues, we have a comprehensive grassroots support mechanism in which we visit our schools at least once a month. Scientific trackers have been developed to measure progress of various aspects of project implementation like classroom management, pedagogy, community engagement etc.
- Capacity: Our teachers are provided with trainings in best pedagogical practices such as lesson planning, developing classroom culture, tracking academic and behavioural progress etc. There is a major focus on developing leadership capacities of head teachers to better manage teams, develop holistic 3-year school development plans and manage resources better. Teacher capacities are also developed in creating and using e-Learning resources which would facilitate learning. We also provide teacher and student incentives based on performance.
- Convergence: We work in close coordination with the education administration where roles are clearly defined through MOUs. Government funds for training, community mobilization etc. are channelized effectively in schools. Furthermore, we work with government’s human resources such as Resource Persons and Master Trainers in providing grassroots academic support and capacity building of our teachers.
- Collaboration: We collaborate with other like-minded organizations and individuals working in education for enhancing impact and building our internal capacities. Currently, we collaborate with organizations such as Pratham, Scholastic India, TCS iON, Simple Education Foundation and ETMA.
- Campaigning: We undertake periodic review of the project with government through monthly district level meetings and quarterly state level meetings. In addition to sharing progress, we also share grassroots issues with the education administration for requisite policy actions and to facilitate project implementation.